City List – 22 Sufis, Around Town
Delhi by list.
[Text and photos by Mayank Austen Soofi]
Delhi’s first Sufi establishment is said to be that of Khwaja Qutubbuddin Bakhtiyar Kaki, the 14th century ascetic. He was the disciple and spiritual successor of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti of Ajmer. Khwaja Kaki lived in south Delhi’s Mehrauli village.
Today, Delhi has hundreds of Sufi dargahs. The city is traditionally known as ‘Bais khwaja ki chaukhat’, the threshold of 22 Sufis.
Although the capital’s principal shrines exceed this number, here is a select list of Delhi’s 22 Sufi masters.
1. Hazrat Qutubuddin Bhakhtiyar Kaki
2. Hazrat Sheikh Shahabuddin “Aashiq Allah”
3. Hazrat Sheikh Imaduddin Ismail Firdousi
4. Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya
5. Hazrat Amir Khusro
6. Hazrat Sheikh Salahuddin
7. Hazrat Sheikh Alaama Kamaluddin
8. Hazrat Sheikh Nassiruddin Chirag Dehlvi
9. Hazrat Sayad Mahmud “Bahaar”
10. Hazrat Sheikh Jalaluddin Chisti
11. Hazrat Maulana Sheikh Jamali
12. Hazrat Sheikh Allauddin
13. Hazrat Khawaja Baqi Billah
14. Hazrat Sheikh Abdul Haq Muhadhis Dehlvi
15. Bibi Fatima Sam
16. Hazrat Shah Turkman Bayabani
17. Hazra Kaazi Hamiduddin Nagori
18. Hazrat Sheikh Abu Bakr Tusi Haidari (Matka Pir)
19. Hazrat Sheikh Najibuddin Mutwakil Chisti
20. Hazrat Sayed Badruddin Shah Samarkandi
21. Hazrat Sheikh Shamsuddin Attadullah “Patte Shah”
22. Hazrat Sheikh Imaduddin Ismail Firdousi
A courtyard of the Sufis